Let’s Get This Garden Started (Part 3)

Posted on March 18, 2012

1


Ok, if you’re just joining us now, here are parts 1 and 2.  I’m going to continue telling this story out of order (well, this part is sort of in order but it skips back before it goes forward), so I’m going back to cover Thursday first before I tell you about today.  And before that, I’m going back to do a quick recap of last year.  Here we go.

Over the summer of 2011 I had 2 1/2 little gardens.  One on the balcony, one in a wading pool, and a flower bed, which I only count as half a garden.  This year I decided to join a local community garden, adding number three to the list.  It might sound like a lot, but they’re all small, and I simply don’t have the space to garden all in one spot.  I chose this particular community garden because they only allow certified organic and heirloom seeds, and pesticides and fertilizers that are approved for organic production.  That brings us up to the present day, or rather, to three days ago…

Thursday’s project was working at the community garden with some of the other members measuring and staking out individual 10′ by 10′ plots.  The ground was pretty wet, but that just made it easier to put in the stakes.  Everybody worked together and we made a lot of progress.  Still, we spent all our time marking out the plots and I didn’t get to do any actual gardening.  In case you’ve been inside for the last 10 days – it’s been weirdly gorgeous out.  The fabulous weather has me in agricultural overdrive and I really needed to get out there and work on my plot.  That brings us to today.

Accomplice 2b is also tending a plot at the community garden, but was unable to make it out on Thursday.  We decided to go out together this afternoon so I could explain the layout and we could do a bit of work on prepping our beds.  We got a late start, but the ground was beautifully soft and we made a ton of progress.  Here, see for yourself:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I got the raised bed kits at Home Depot.  The frame assembly was tool free, but you need a drill to attach the toppers to the connecting pieces.  That will just have to be a project for another day.

Advertisements
Posted in: Gardening